Nov 9, 2013

FEATURED: NAOMI CAMPBELL

         From Grace Jones, to Carla Campbell, to Nadine Willis,  Jamaica is known to produce some of the most stunning models in the world.  Few among them however have managed to attain the level of stardom that Mega-Model Naomi Campbell has.  Yes, we use the title 'Mega- Model'  because the word supermodel has become entirely to common for our liking and simply did not feel appropriate for a model that has reached the level of success Naomi has.  In the event you did not know, Naomi Campbell was born in London to a Jamaican mother. Though she was born overseas, she has been proud to acknowledge and embrace her Jamaican heritage.  Ms. Campbell is know frequent visits to the Island to spend time in her oceanfront three bedroom hideaway in Oracabessa.   


 photo netaporter3.png


     The famed style icon recently shot a editorial for Net-a-Porter's EDIT magazine and not only shared with her fans her goals for her growing television empire, but also shared some insight on her the industry and her almost unprecedented successful career.   

Take a look inside




On how she stays in shape:
"Since I had my operation on my knee [in 2012, after being reportedly mugged], Pilates has become very important. I don’t want to build muscle, just to tone. I’m not extreme about what I eat – I let chocolate and crisps come in at times. You have to allow the little things that make you happy. For ten days prior to the Versace show, I just drank juice – carrot, ginger, pineapple – to cleanse.”


 photo netaporter16.png


On mentoring:
“I want people to really understand what the world of modeling is about, and how hard we work. I like the mentoring aspect, as opposed to sitting in my chair and judging someone. It’s really rewarding to see the models transformed and it makes me feel like I’m doing something right.”


 photo netaporter14.png


On building relationships:
“I LEARNED something from each photographer I WORKED with, their different styles and how they WANTED me to be

 photo netaporter4.png

On her 'Grandad' Nelson Mandela:
“There will never be anyone like him again. When you meet him, you just get such a positive aura. It’s incredible.”

 photo netaporter5.png
On racism in the industry:
"I do think there is still racism. Joan Smalls and Jourdan Dunn and I speak with each other and, sometimes, I’m a little horrified with the things they tell me.”

 photo netaporter9.png
Photos via:  Net-A-Po
Check out this Net-A-Porter video from the shoot!




     And just in case you missed it,  you can see Naomi in her element and at home in Jamaica in this video: